What will the therapy be like?
Even though personalization and flexibility are the keystones of the Intensive Program, there are certain conceptual elements that are a fundamental part of its structure. The following elements are always present; even though their presence might vary according to the duration and focus of the intensive program:
– Analysis and diagnosis of the factors that caused the problem and the factors that are currently maintaining the problem. The analytical and diagnostic work we do is necessary to profoundly investigate which parts of the personality have been underdeveloped. These areas need to be activated and developed in order to cause a reduction in the internal conflicts that are currently maintaining the anxiety.
Every day of the Intensive program some hours will be dedicated to exploring and analyzing these areas. This is done because the intense exercises and activation we carry out daily generate new emotions and concepts that need to be processed.
– Drive and Focalization exercises. These are physical techniques and specific AFOP exercises that will be provided by different health professionals, both inside and outside of the office. The goal of these exercises is to activate the instinct of the person.
– Workout. This tool represents and trains you to improve the connection between the internal (emotions, beliefs) and external (behavior, attitude) world of the patient. During the Workout sessions, which are carried out in adapted and soundproofed locations, the patient will face their fears in an innovative, bold and effective way, while being guided by one or two specialized psychologists. The name Workout, or training, refers to the objective of preparing the person internally to start facing their fears and overcoming their real-life goals, in order to reduce the anxiety which is currently causing the obsessions and compulsions.
– PPT. Personal Psychological Trainer. During the PPT hours the patient faces the outside world, “the streets”; he will reach important goals, with the help and support of the therapist. It doesn’t matter what their specific fears are. We use all the resources of Barcelona or their place of residence in order to create significant experiences and to overcome both their specific and general fears.
We will accompany the patient in the process of overcoming their inhibition in life that has been caused by the disorder. We will help them in any kind of situation, as long this situation holds true value for the patient. In other words we break with the limits of classic therapy in order to be able to break with OCD.
– Planning of the follow-up and life goals. Every patient who participates in the Intensive Program at IPITIA will end the program with a clear idea of what they need to do from that moment on in order to overcome their OCD. We will provide them with a final report including all this information.
In this report the patient will receive the therapeutic strategy to be followed; containing the frequency of the sessions, the short- and long-term goals that the person should reach, and the activities they should engage in, with the objective of introducing vital changes in their life and the way they relate to the world, which will reduce the symptomatology substantially and in most cases will make it disappear completely.